Our Numeracy focus is to promote a growth mindset for our students. Within a span of a few months of focusing on a growth mindset, providing more hands-on activities and taking a problem-based approach to teaching math in classrooms, we have seen a positive shift in student attitude and engagement towards math.
Our initial scan included a random sample of students from Kindergarten to grade 5 and asked these questions:
- What do you like about math and why?
- When do you feel successful in math?
- What do you do when you struggle in math?
Response from students included:
- "I like really tough questions."
- "I like making my brain work."
- "Math helps my mind grow."
- "Problems make me feel excited and happy."
- "I keep trying, I take a breath, come back to it."
- "I listen to what other people say and then I can think of my own ideas."
- "It can be more challenging."